Tuesday, August 18, 2015

PICKET FENCE QUILT

The Cascades quilt is quilted--a simple stitch-in-the-ditch, along each side of the sashings.  Next come sewing on the borders and binding, and then quilting the borders.  I think a feather pattern would look good in the border.  That's something I've never done before, so it will "stretch" me a little, and that's almost always a good thing.


I have felt quite "stretched" lately, trying to catch up after all the company, plus there was an issue with my only sister that really took the starch out of me.  So today I decided to kind of "lean back" and just enjoy myself.

This is how I did that: I laid out a plastic table cloth with a flannel backing, backing side up on the living room floor and arranged all the blocks for the "Picket Fence" quilt.  Using a table cloth for that is a trick I learned from Monica Bishop this spring.  I had heard of using the back of a plastic tablecloth as a design wall, but this was a version of that.  If you lay out your blocks on the back of the tablecloth, you can roll up the table cloth to transport the blocks, and they will stay where you've put them.  It's a great idea.

Today, however, I never rolled the cloth up.  Instead I picked up each vertical row in order, pinned a memo on top labelling the row by number.  Then I was able to confidently sew them together a la Bonnie Hunter's "Webbing the Top" method.  You can find directions for that on her website, Quiltville.com.  I read her blog all the time, and have often used her patterns.  She's a real resource for quilters!

No comments:

Post a Comment