Thursday, May 4, 2017

FIRSTS

First really warm day this year: current temperature, 20ºC, or 68ºF.  Yeah, I know, for some of you that isn't warm, but for us it feels like summer, the week after winter.  That's just the way it is here.

The farmer wasn't actually seeding yesterday, he was harrowing, making the land ready for seeding.  He was hope, hope, hoping to seed today.  I think I did hear his equipment in the fields to the north of us.

And today we are having the first Crab/Avocado salad of the year.  Somehow I got started making this as a full dinner menu for us.  It kind of evolved along the way.

Here's the recipe for our current version:

CRAB/AVOCADO SALAD
In a large salad bowl, layer:
bits of lettuce, onion, corn kernels, black beans (drained),
cut-up English cucumber, lightly blanched sugar snap peas, 
and pine nuts.
Cut up 2 medium avocados.
Cut up 1/4 of a large package of Imitation Crab (Alaskan Pollock)
(Of course, you can use real crab, but I've found I
prefer the Imitation Crab.)
Sprinkle the crab and avocado with lime juice.
Layer on top of the salad.
Drizzle all with a bit of olive oil.

I served this still layered, not tossed, one time when a nephew and his wife were visiting.
She had first helping and managed to scoop out just the top layers, leaving the rest of us to "enjoy" the salad with a minimum of avocado and crab!  I did toss the salad today, but when it's just the two of us, there's never a problem with one person hogging all the good stuff!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment