Wednesday, February 4, 2015

WON'T COMPLAIN

I don't understand how this can be, but I surely won't complain!  When we were in Arizona I tried three times to bake bread.  Each time the loaf turned out like this:
It was edible, but that's all.  I also baked a dozen hamburger buns.  They were disgusting little flat things, too.

I did some research on the net, which assured me that "it's easier to bake bread at a lower elevation."  Our place in Arizona is at 1,200 ft.  Our place here in Alberta is at 3,000 ft. That's supposed to make it harder to bake a good loaf here than in Arizona.  The opposite is true for me.  I don't know why.

A few people assured me in Arizona that it's the flour there.  They said, "The flour you buy in Canada is better flour."  And it's true that here I buy Robin Hood Best for Bread flour.  I couldn't find that in the stores near us in AZ, so I bought what seemed to be the best flour there.  Didn't help.

I took the flour I had in AZ home with me, because it would go rancid left there over the hot summer.  (I empty the fridge and turn off the electricity before we leave.)  So today I baked bread, using Arizona flour.  

It turned out beautiful.  It's not the flour!

WHAT IS IT???

No comments:

Post a Comment