Saturday, March 2, 2013

In Like a Lamb

Contrary to the old saying, "In like a lion, out like a lamb," March
arrived  yesterday with wonderful, spring-like weather.  I wouldn't be surprised if it were the loveliest March 1 in the history of Alberta!  HOWEVER, the forecast for tomorrow is a heavy snow warning!

Our local quilting shop, part of the IDA, was running its semi-annual fabric sale this past week.  I don't usually buy much fabric then, just perhaps some batting, because I like to buy for specific projects.  But on Thursday I decided to buy for two summer projects coming up.  The poinsettia fabric to the right is a Christmas fabric and the matching green and purple will be used in the same project.  I don't want to say what the project is right now, because it will be used for a gift to a regular blog reader.  But don't these fabrics have real "pizzazz"!

This knitting project is whizzing right along, but I'm finding that I can knit just a few rows before I need to give my hands a rest.  The double strand of cotton yarn makes it kind of heavy going.

So I started another project on the other end of the scale:
A new pair of socks begun.  This yarn is a Berroco Ultra Alpaca, Fine.  Its composition: 50% Peruvian Wool, 20 % Super Fine Alpaca, and 30% Nylon.  The wool makes it warm; the Alpaca makes it soft; and the nylon makes it strong!  The colour is a very deep blue, perhaps a deep Prussian blue, with shadings of a purple, almost black blue.

The label claims 7.5 sts. to 1" on 3 mm needles.  It looked finer than that to me, so I did a swatch on 2.5 mm needles and found it closer to 8.5 or 9 sts. to one inch.  I've started the socks on that basis, and since they are "toe up" I can adjust to fewer or more stitches per round when I reach the end of the toe.  I'm planning to incorporate lots of the same cables on the knitting project just above for the instep and the ribbing.  These will take a bit longer to knit than other recent socks as the yarn and needles are finer, but I'm thinking they will turn out to be wonderful socks.  (Of course, I think that at the beginning of every project I make!)

And here are some 1/2 meter cuts of batik that I also purchased at the fabric sale. These batiks look a little washed out in this photo, but the colours are just scrumptious.  There are 8 1/2 meter cuts here.  They will be 4" half square triangles on two corners of each 6" block in a light weight quilt I plan to make this coming summer.  I need another 6 or 7 half meter cuts to make enough squares for a really large queen sized quilt.  Then I need about 10 meters for all the background 6" squares.  Couldn't find what I wanted today, which is the last day of the sale, with all fabrics priced at 50% off.  But I have lots of time left before summer to finish off the quilts I am working on and to shop for background and other batiks to complete this quilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment