Saturday, March 23, 2013

Missing in Action

Well, I'm not really missing in action, just been totally too busy to even thing about writing a blog post.

This past week was a treat: Dear Daughter #2, hubby and two children came for a visit.  Here we see her relaxing with a mug of tea.  The "Skew" socks I made from her are prominently displayed.  Makes me think I should make a pair for myself!  But since I just finished a pair of socks for myself, the ones knit from two disparate balls of yarn, I'll make a few pairs for others first.

The week before this was total immersion in music week: lessons on Monday, lessons on Tuesday, Music Festival on Wednesday (11:30a.m.  to 7 p.m.), and the Encore concert on Friday evening.  Saturday Jim and I went to a symphony concert in Red Deer, and that is always a good experience.  We stayed overnight in Motel 6 (he has his favourites) and then went to church in Red Deer Sunday morning.

Sunday was my birthday and we went out to Swiss Chalet for dinner with two other couples, friends of ours from the church there.  That was an enjoyable celebration.

Back to the Music Festival: four of my students played in the festival and did very well.  Gold all the way around.  Two of them also performed in the final concert and played even better than on Wednesday.  The little student/community string ensemble also played in the festival and at the concert.

The first piece the ensemble played at the festival, for judging, was an arrangement of the theme of William Tell Overture.  Great start!  Then we played three selections from Patrick Hawes's Simple Strings: "Tenderness," "No Worries," and "Meadow Lands."  You can listen to this music on the net if you google Simple Strings, and then click on the suggestion that mentions WestOneMusic in the second line.  Very neat, interesting music!

This coming week will have lots of music, also.  There's a rehearsal with a group from Rosebud for certain selections from the Messiah which we will perform in Drumheller on Good Friday morning.

Did I mention that our dear old friend in Lethbridge died two weeks ago?  She was just short of her 92nd birthday, and was terribly diminished from the vital, adventuresome person she had been.  Her memorial service will be held this coming week.  Several years ago she asked Jim to officiate at that service, so we will be there.  Her stepson and step-daughter-in-law asked me to play a piece during the service.  I've chosen "Great is Thy Faithfulness," and am looking forward to honouring her, her faith, and God's faithfulness with that music.

No comments:

Post a Comment