Friday, March 22, 2019

GARDEN CENTRE HELPER

Yesterday our helper S. picked up a load of perennials from the shipper in Calgary, so today she and I are busy potting.  I had the easier job, potting bare root strawberries in the greenhouse, where it's nice and warm, even in the morning.

There were 250 strawberry plants in that plastic bag, kind of entwined one with another.  Pull out a handful, tease them apart, separate the leaves from the thready roots, hold the plant just under the leaves in your left hand, scoop up a big handful of potting mix with your right hand and pat it down under the leaves, burying the roots.  Add some more soil, quite a bit, because watering will settle the soil down, but not so much that the water runs off the pot.  Put the pots in trays of 18, set them on the shelves by the south wall of the greenhouse and start all over again.  

At the end of three hours there were 14 trays of 18 pots and 4 extra pots of strawberries.  S. did three of the trays and I did the rest.  It was a big help for Jim, but after I had some lunch, I actually went for a little nap!  Which restored me very nicely!

Next week we'll be transplanting small annuals.

P.S.  You see all that white behind me?  That's a parking lot full of snow piles!

No comments:

Post a Comment