Thursday, May 12, 2016

TURNING TWENTY

There's been a very large ziplock bag of bright children's material in my quilting closet for a few years.  Just the very thing for a "Turning Twenty" quilt to donate to Fort McMurray.  Monday evening I got the fabric out and began cutting.  "Turning Twenty" is a very simple, quick pattern, and gets its name from the fact that it calls for twenty fat quarters to make the quilt.

I didn't have twenty fat quarters, but I had lots of odds and ends big enough to cut out the necessary pieces: a 3 1/2" x 16 1/2" piece, a 6 1/2" x 16 1/2" piece, a 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" piece, and a 6 1/2" x 10 1/2" piece.  That evening I cut fourteen of each of those pieces.

Tuesday afternoon and evening the quilting group had a get together to plan next year's agenda.  We gathered at one member's home at 3 p.m. and hashed out all our plans and issues.  Now I have to get them typed up into minutes and emailed out for the members to check and see if everything was included.

When we finished all that we gathered in the kitchen to put together our "potluck" supper.  It's always fun to see what's on the menu!  This year we had one hot casserole, a pot of chicken soup, some pigs in the blanket and some cheese biscuits.  There were two macaroni salads, one lettuce/tomato salad and one jello, whipped cream, fruit salad.  And there were six or seven desserts!  Probably because last year we were very skimpy on desserts!  Of course, each dessert needs to be sampled!  Talk about feeling too full!

Wednesday morning I cut the remaining pieces and started sewing.  But 6 p.m. the quilt top was finished except for the top and bottom borders.  I took a break and after watching the evening news went to finish the two borders, about a 15 minute job--so I thought.  An hour later it was finally completed--a task that had included cutting down one of the borders pieces which was too long for its spot, and taking out seams around one of the blocks to cut down another piece (same material) which was also too big.

Here's the finished top:














Hopefully this will brighten some child's heart--some child who has been through trauma and loss in the fire disaster.

I've also been struggling with the backing of the Tradewinds quilt I'm working on.  I found some perfect fabric, a purple with a small print, nice and lightweight as it's to be a summer quilt.  I pre washed with a colour catcher sheet and then rewashed with a sheet.  I did that four times and the colour catcher sheets turned just as pink every time.  I soaked the 3 meters for a whole morning in cold water with vinegar and salt, as per instructions on the net.  Then I washed it again and again the colour catcher turned just as dark pink. I don't dare to use that fabric.  I could ruin my beautiful batik quilt.  I guess I just have to source some other backing fabric.  Sometimes there are problems along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment