Thursday, January 24, 2019

FREQUENCY OF POSTS

I've been completely neglectful of posting on this blog lately.  And the longer I don't post anything, the harder it becomes to write a post.  I read several blogs every day, one of which is Yarn Harlot, a knitting blog.  Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, aka Yarn Harlot, usually posts frequently, but wrote only three posts so far in January.  Still, even if we count this post, she's one ahead of me for the month!  And she wrote yesterday about how hard it becomes to write a post after a long absence.  I could relate to that!

An Aside: Stephanie has also written some very good books--on knitting.  Our daughter-in-law Cindy was reading a book a few years ago, chuckling as she read.  Geoffrey asked her what she was reading and laughing about and she replied, It's a book on knitting!  Surprising answer.  How can a book on knitting be that much fun?  It can if it's written by Stephanie.  Cindy later sent me a copy and I laughed while reading it.  Then I loaned it to my friend Jan who is a knitter and then I sent it to our daughter Sara who is also a knitter.  I recommend the Yarn Harlot's blog and books!

I also read Bonnie Hunter's blog.  She blogs DAILY!!!  I love it.  She is currently in Japan, leading a tour of quilters there.  Busy, busy days, so she's having a bit of a hard time finding the time in the day to post a blog entry, but she DOES IT!  She's decided that a short post is the way to go.

So I thought over those two bits of input.  I had been considering quitting writing this blog.  In February it will be an anniversary: ten years of blogging.  But after reading the Yarn Harlot's and Bonnie Hunter's ideas, I thought I might try writing more often, and just a comment or two and hopefully a picture or two.

So here's today:  our quilting group here met this morning and one of our regulars came up with an idea.  Let's start a new group that meets maybe once a month in the evening to share their latest creations, answer questions, collect and share tips, and, in a good tradition, have a snack together!  Sounds like a winner!  Our first meeting will be next Tuesday evening.  Good, I'll still be here to join in.

Then this afternoon I went to a choir rehearsal.  We are always looking at new music and one of the newest is a spiritual, Upon-A That Cross.  Real heartfelt music.  I think we'll really enjoy it.  Last Sunday we sang He Never Failed Me Yet, from Sister Act, a Whoopie Goldberg movie.  Nappy sang the solo part and did a bang-up job.  We all loved singing that song.  One of the other altos, a woman who taught English to middle schoolers for 40 years, commented to me on the word "yet" in the song and how she felt about that word.  I really hadn't noticed, but after she mentioned that I felt pretty uncomfortable singing, He never failed me--yet.  Sounds like Jesus might fail us tomorrow!

This evening we held our choir potluck party.  We prefer January because December is so busy anyway.  I made lasagne (from frozen) and was worried it would be overcooked while I was at choir.  When I got home it was undercooked and needed another half hour in the oven.  We got to the party late!  But it was still a lot of fun.  Now I have a half lasagne for some later meal.

Well, that did not exactly follow Bonnie Hunter's idea of just get a few lines down every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment