Sunday, April 19, 2015

TRYING OUT A HUNTER'S STAR BLOCK

Years ago I saw a Hunter's Star block in a quilting magazine and found it very attractive. On Saturday, March 4 at the Red Deer Quilting Show there was an extremely attractive Hunter's Star quilt.  It was in "Kansas Troubles" fabric by Moda.  Quite a few years ago I bought two large fat quarter stacks of Moda's "Aunt Purdy's Parlor" and "Kansas Troubles."  The quilt at the Red Deer show was just the inspiration I needed to begin using that large bag of fabric.  Here's the first block:

The red is not so orange as this appears, but a deep, rusty red.  I won't sew any blocks together yet, because maybe scrappy blocks would like better than blocks of just two fabrics.

These blocks with finish at 12" so the quilt won't take too long. I'm using a combination of cutting strips and paper piecing.

I'm hoping to make a few big quilts by next October, for use in our Arizona condo, so one that goes together quickly will be a bonus.

In the meantime, I'm working on my project of producing 13 quilts by summer.  These five rows of a raggy quilt are the beginning of #9.  Number 7 still needs to be machine quilted and number 8 (the pinwheels) is only half sewn together.  All the raggy blocks are made; they just need to be sewn together.

I may run short of time for completing 13 quilts, as the Garden Centre work is taking up more of my time these days.
We live in hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment