Tuesday, April 1, 2014


I'm way overdue on writing a post here.  Just enjoying the warmth, the morning walks, the afternoon swims, the occasional jaunt out to do a little shopping with dear Sis, etc. to want to sit down and write a bit for the blog.

Life is good in Arizona.  There are lots of activities to choose from in our gated community, lots of friendly people and the weather just continually cooperates.

On Friday some fellows with a truck are going to help me move a few pieces of furniture from the one bedroom condo to the two bedroom condo.  Our plan is to stay in that larger home next winter and rent out this smaller unit.  It was a good place to stay this past winter, but I find the kitchen too small to cook the way we usually do--everything from scratch.  It will also be very good to have a separate room for the two laptops and the sewing machine, let alone all the projects I like to work on.

Sunday afternoon I went to an "Art is Alive in Surprise" festival in the community park behind the regional library.  What fun to be mingling with many happy people, strolling through the exhibits, viewing the excellent art displays (painting, pottery, jewelry, carving, etc.) and seeing the families having a picnic in the park.

Last week Tuesday I had a "brush" with the health care system here.  I realized I was getting a UTI, so my dear Sis dropped me off at an "urgent care" clinic.  The waiting room was full when we got there at 9 a.m., and I realized it would be a long wait.  Too bad I hadn't thought to take along my library book or my knitting!  At 12:30 I finally saw a doctor and soon was fixed up with a prescription for an antibiotic.

She (the Dr.) asked what pharmacy to email the Rx to, and I chose the Walgreens on Bell, not realizing how far away that was.  Good thing I'm used to walking: it was a 20 minute walk west to the Walgreens.  West is the opposite direction from home.  There was a wait for the prescription to be filled, and fortunately, I found an interesting book right there, a biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, which I picked up and started reading. (I bought the book on the way out.) After about 40 minutes I asked, and, yes, the prescription was waiting ready in the drawer.  I had thought they would call me when it was ready, as they do in our local pharmacy at home.

By that time it was almost 2 p.m. and I had had nothing to eat or drink since 7 in the morning.  I found a Subway store and had a sandwich and "large" diet coke.  What a monster that was: 40 ounces!  I drank about half and threw the rest away in the ladies' room sink.

Then I headed home.  The temperature was about 92ºF at that time, and I had to walk for 40 minutes along a very busy road.  I was wearing long black slacks, a black short sleeved shirt and a long sleeved fuchsia blouse.  By the time I got home I was completely soaking wet with sweat and popped into the shower to a refreshing clean up.

Oh, and the 10 minute visit with the Dr. and the urine test amounted to $125.  Not cheap entertainment!

No comments:

Post a Comment