Thursday, July 28, 2011

New Recipe

I found a new recipe on the net, somewhere, by someone named Zinn.  Came across it in a blog I read, but I forget where.  I've made something similar, but this one included noodles, so it would be sufficient for an entire meal.  Contrary to my usual habit, I didn't make it strictly according to recipe the first time, but changed it to make it more of a whole meal.

Here's the original:
CHICKEN CORDON BLEU CASSEROLE
Ingredients:
4 cups of cooked egg noodles
1 pound of skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
2 cups of trimmed lean ham cut into small pieces.
1 can of low-fat cream of chicken soup
5 slices of reduced-salt Swiss cheese
1 cup of bread crumbs
Spray butter or oil
Cooking spray

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray a 13" x 9" baking pan with cooking spray.  Combine the chicken, ham, noodles and soup in a large bowl.
3. Put half the noodle mixture in the pan.
4. Place Swiss cheese slices on top of the noodle mixture in the pan in one layer.
5. Place the rest of the noodle mixture on top of the cheese slices and smooth it down.
6. Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs.  Then spray the top with spray butter or oil.
7. Bake for 35 minutes.  The casserole should be hot and bubbly.

It should make about eight servings.

We seldom eat casserole, but because it's sometimes my turn to bring lunch to our country quilting group, I keep an eye out for a new, good looking recipe.

I made a half recipe for the two of us and added the following:
2 cups of peas
1/2 onion diced
1 can of sliced mushrooms.
I baked it in a 9" x 9" teflon pan.
I subsituted creme of mushroom soup for the creme of chicken soup.

It turned out very well, and the half recipe was enough for the two of us for two meals.  The second meal is still in the freezer, waiting for a day when I don't feel like cooking, or run out of time.

Serve it with a nice salad and you're all set!

No comments:

Post a Comment