Tuesday, June 11, 2019

SO CUTE!

A pair of robins are raising their brood in a Medora Juniper (an upright form) that grows at the southwest corner of our home.  We are staying away from that area until they are all fledged.  But yesterday as we were sitting downstairs we saw this very young robin sitting on the top of a Caragana standard near the nest.  He sat there for about an hour, every now and then opening his large mouth in a begging food gesture.

Jim had spotted him and called me down to see.  I grabbed my camera and got this shot:
He seemed lonesome, a little lost and definitely hungry.  The drops are some rain sprinkles on the window.  After I took the picture, with the telephoto lens fully extended and turned the camera off, Mama Robin showed up and began stuffing worms into his wide-open beak.

I quickly turned the camera on again and extended the telephoto lens, but I was too late.  She was finished.  She flew off to find more food for her brood.  I won't forget that sight!

Later the stray returned to the nest, preferring that to the cold, wet world out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment