Friday, November 9, 2018

PAINT SURPRISE

About three years ago I painted our bathroom a very deep blue that came from my brother-in-law Wayne.  They had painted some walls in their house here that wonderful colour.  He had at least a 1/2 gallon left and was kind enough to let me use it to paint our bathroom.  The bathroom is very, very small and half of it is taken up by a walk-in acrylic shower stall, so I used just a small amount of paint.

The blue was applied over a very pale cream and one coat seemed to cover it just fine.  But sometime in the next year a picture fell off the wall and the frame gouged a small divot out of the blue paint, revealing the white beneath.  Other little dits and dats showed up as we went along, so this fall I "borrowed" back the 1/2 gallon of paint.

Today I got around to using it.  I stirred it well with a paint stick, dipped in a little foam brush as the areas were very small and didn't require a regular paint brush.  It took about eight minutes to fix up those white spots that were showing through.  But when I went to move the paint can from where I had placed it in the shower stall --thank heavens!-- these rather big blobs of paint had leaked out of the bottom of the can.  Could it have rusted through?  The can is four years old.  YIKES!!
Was I ever happy that it was in the shower stall!!!

I put some paper towels under the can and put the can into a plastic garbage bag.  Then I cleaned up the paint spills.  They were quite thick blobs.  I quickly rinsed them away and then got the scrubbing powder and scrubbed the entire basin because I know from painting with watercolours how very staining a blue paint can be.  I think it looks o.k. now.  And the bathroom walls are all fixed up.  One more job off the list of upkeep tasks.

We also were able to replace our old spring and mattress on Monday.  Remember that last year I had such good luck finding a new sofa bed on the residents' bulletin board?  I looked there again and found a virtually new queen sized spring and mattress for $175.  Someone's son and daughter-in-law had required a king size bed rather than the queen size that was in the guest house.  So Donalda had a queen sized spring and mattress to dispose of.  Monday afternoon our helper Dennis, Jim and I went there to pick it up.  Fortunately her son Stuart was there and helped greatly with manuevering the awkward spring and even more awkward mattress into Dennis's truck and then into our condo here.  Many thanks to Stuart and Dennis for helping us with that.  And now we have a firm mattress to sleep on--no more lying in a "trough."  

No comments:

Post a Comment