Friday, July 20, 2018

A DOUGH SAVE

We are looking forward to a visit from #2 son and his #2 daughter starting tomorrow.  There are things to get ready: bedrooms, bathroom, food--I just put together 14 burgers for the freezer, not that we'll eat that many, but we were out and I like to make a big batch.  Time to bake a few loaves of bread and buns to go with the burgers.

This morning I loaded the ingredients into the breadmaker for two loaves of bread.  Because I had just ground the wheat I could make 75% whole wheat loaves.  Two hours later the dough was ready to be formed into loaves and set aside for a second rising.  I made the loaves, put them in the loaf pans and put the pans in a slightly warm oven. Usually about 45 minutes is plenty for the dough to lift above the rim of the pan.  Usually I set the timer so I don't forget.

This morning I did not set the timer.  I went into the sewing and worked on a small quilt I'm making for some friends.  Completely forget about the dough rising.  By the time I remembered it has risen, fallen, and formed a rather tough skin.  What to do?  First I thought I'd just simply bake it, but you know what?  I don't think that bread would have been edible.  So I picked off the tough skin that had formed, reworked the dough and cut out 11 hamburg buns and 1 small extra.  After about 20 minutes they were ready to go into the oven.
They look fine.  But as the saying goes, The proof of the (pudding) bun is in the eating.  We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment