Thursday, November 24, 2016

THANKSGIVING DAY

Since we're in Arizona we get to celebrate Thanksgiving Day along with friends and my sister and her husband.  If I had to list all the blessings I'm grateful for, this would be a very long post.  Heading the list: the Dear One, followed by the kids and grandkids.  I've been very blest in family!

Last night we had a combined Thanksgiving Day service at the church we attend here (Lord of Life Lutheran), along with the Methodist Church and the Jewish Synagogue that are both on the same block as our church.  We had a joyful service, the highlight of which was the combined choirs singing "We Sing the Mighty Power of God."  After the service there was a pie social, and that was also very enjoyable.

Today we are going to a potluck dinner here in Sun Village.  What a good idea!  Lots of us here don't have relatives nearby; our kids and grandkids are far away.  So we will eat together.  You know how those potlucks turn out: tons of delicious food, dishes that each one kind of specializes in.  So my contribution will be:

ONION SIDE DISH
Peel and slice 2 large Sweet onions (to make 6 cups)
Sauté in 1/4 cup butter until tender.
Spoon into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish

Combine:
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Pour over onions

Top with 1 1/2 cups croutons.
Sprinkle with 3/4 cup grated Cheddar

Bake at 350º for 30 to 35 minutes.

I doubled this recipe.  I added 4 large mushrooms, chopped with the onions in the sauté.  Had no Worcestershire sauce, so used Soy Sauce.  I don't add the milk.  The onions make enough moisture when sautéed.  For croutons I'm using part of a package of stuffing mix.

I'm also bringing:
HOT CURRIED FRUIT
Melt 1/4 cup butter in a pan
Add 1 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 TB curry powder

Boil slowly for 5 minutes
Drain 3 or 4 14 oz. cans of fruit
Chop up the fruit
Pour the boiled mixture over the fruit
   in a buttered casserole dish
Bake at 300º for 20 to 25 minutes.

I added a bit more canned fruit, but kept the sauce the same.  That cuts down on the amount of butter and sugar just a bit, which I think balances it out better.

So, all is ready.  It just needs to be popped into the oven sometime soon.  Dinner is at 1 p.m.  Enjoy and be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment