Tuesday, November 15, 2016

A BIG TREAT

Yesterday and today I had the great treat of playing on the wonderful pipe organ at the church we attend here.  I'm working on a few pieces with the encouragement of Gloria, the church organist,  preparing them for possible inclusion in a service some day.

One of my favourites is a very perky setting for The First Noel.  It's sparkly and cheerful and is a lot of fun to play.  Another interesting piece is a Partita on "St. Anne" a well known hymn by Paul Manz.  It includes a Theme, Adagio, Canon, Presto and Pastorale.  There is also a final Fugue-Finale, but I haven't learned that one yet.  The others still need practice before they would be ready to use in a service.  The Presto would make a whiz-bang postlude.

I am also working on a Trio Sonata by Bach that is a great favourite of mine.  We have a recording of it, a vinyl record, that I've played many, many times.  I love to listen to it while sewing.

The chorale prelude on Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen, by Brahms is a supremely meditative piece.  According to the lack of dating on it, I've never used it in a service.  A quiet flute setting on the choir manual and a geigen celeste on the swell make a nice quiet contrast between sections.

For two hours on Monday and Tuesday I lose myself in this music, this wonderful pipe organ and go home spiritually refreshed, and somewhat tired from concentrating so intently.  It's a privilege to be able to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment