Wednesday, March 16, 2016

DECISIONS, DECISIONS

I finished the Disappearing Four Patch quilt top this morning and laid it out on the sewing room floor.  It measures 37.5" x 52.5".  It didn't look balanced with a layout of 5 blocks by 7 blocks.  The first solution that came to mind was to make another row of 7 blocks, making the quilt 6 blocks by 7 blocks.

The trouble with that is finding enough coordinating fabrics in about the same colour range.  It was hard enough to get this many that looked pretty decent together.  I doubt there are enough in my stash to make another seven.  The background is not a problem.  There's enough of that fabric left.

Another solution: take the end five blocks off and add them to the short side, making the quilt six blocks by six blocks, or 45" x 45", with the addition of one more new block.  It would have to be a dark blue block.  I think I could manage that.

Then I looked at the quilt from another angle:  This doesn't seem so bad.  Maybe I can just add borders and be done with it.  Maybe even do three borders on the "not long enough" side.

Anything goes in quilting!  It's just up to the quilter.

No comments:

Post a Comment