Wednesday, January 14, 2015

FINISH ONE, START ANOTHER

I had a very early start this morning, awake at 2:20 a.m. and up by 3:15 a.m.  That happens at least once a week.  When I know I'm not going back to sleep, I don't fight it.  I just get up, put on a pot of coffee and get out the knitting and reading.

That enabled me to finish the second "tie dye" sock this morning.  They are in the "Skew" pattern, so they look a little strange, more like a skinny, straight piece of knitting with a funny triangular heel.  They're pretty neat though, as seen in this next photo:

I didn't manage to get the stripes in the same order on both socks.  That was a disappointment.  The other pair of Skew that I made were mirror images of each other.

They are a little tight, so maybe they will go to my dear Sis, as she has smaller feet than I do.

Yesterday I was at Michael's (the craft store) when we had a downpour. Buckets and buckets of rain hammered down on the roof making a racket, bouncing off the pavement of the parking lot.  It was a good time to browse the yarn aisles.  I found five balls of yarn that needed to come home with me.

One of the balls is the deep purple in the top
photo.  I plan to combine that withe the leftovers of the "tie dye" yarn from the Skew socks, and make a pair for the youngest granddaughter.  Purple toes, heels and ribbing, and stripes of Tie Dye alternating with deep purple for the body of the sock.  The little toe is already knit in the top photo.  Doesn't look like something that could turn into a sock, but that's the plan.

In the afternoon the sun came out, but there were still several very dramatic banks of clouds in the sky.  Then the setting sun turned them all a range of glory from a deep salmon to a neon pink.

Clouds fascinate me and I'd like to paint many cloud studies.  My iPhoto is full of cloud pictures.  I remember Jim remarking on the first roll of pictures I took after we were married when he saw there were about five pictures of the same sunset, "Wouldn't one picture have been enough?"

No comments:

Post a Comment