So I took it into the kitchen, gave it a good clean up with some warm water and t.s.p. While it dried I went downstairs to look over the odds 'n ends of paint. I had a nice blue and a bright orange in mind.
The blue was one of three I used in the downstairs bathroom, and it filled the bill nicely. The orange turned out to be a pale orangey beige, not "sparky" enough at all! So back downstairs and look some more.
Well, this green, one of three from our bedroom, will look good enough. The "redo" was complete in no time, and the result is a fun looking, clean little chair to welcome a tired shopper.