Friday, December 7, 2012

A Summer Meal on a Winter Day

Those of you who have been reading my blog for some time know that we grow a large percentage of our food.  Among the vegetables we stored for this winter are some very fine, small beets.  I had pretty much forgotten about them until Jim reminded me last week, so one of our "hot" meals featured beets, boiled, skinned, sliced and served with a little bit of butter, salt and pepper.

Eating those beets put me in mind of a salad that I've been making for about two years, but usually in the summer.  I got a yen for that salad, so today, in spite of -18ºC temperatures, we had a summer meal.

Here's the recipe (basically just what I decided went well together):
For two people as a main course:
1/2 head of Buttercrunch lettuce
chopped celery
diced onion
some cooked and cooled quinoa or couscous
1/3 cup of corn kernels (preferably Peaches & Cream)
a sprinkling of pine nuts
3 smallish beets, boiled, skinned and chopped
lots of imitation crab pieces
one lovely avocado, diced

Sprinkle a bit of lime juice over the avocado and crab before adding them to the bowl.
Drizzle some good olive oil over the mixture.

If I had some focaccia I would have served that also, but instead heated some stew to round out the meal.  Jim had a good helping of stew after he finished the salad, but the salad was plenty for me.
Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment