Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Just a Quick Note

We are leaving late today for a holiday in Newfoundland.  We've never been there and are looking forward to a good tourist experience.

Yesterday Jim, S. and I picked, shelled, blanched and froze over 10 pounds of green peas, about 9 pounds of fava beans, four quarts of strawberry freezer jam, 4 quarts of raspberries.  This morning I froze another two Ziplock large bags of raspberries.  We've been eating corn of the cob all week, and regretfully leave the rest of it to S. and her family.

So, what with all the last minute activity I haven't had a chance to post some interesting things.  One of them a "Yarn Tale," which I hope to get to yet.  To add to the already full schedule, my computer went down last week Thursday.  Dear Son #2, the tech guy, spent an hour on the phone with me on Saturday trying to fix it to no avail.  So it's put away for now and will go back to London Drug when we come back from our holiday.  I'm pretty sure it's fixable, and I'm hoping for the best.  We did do a full backup just one month ago.

On Sunday Jim preached in Granum.  We left at 6:30 a.m., since it's a 3 hour drive.  We had a fine time with the folks there, and after the second service went to see our dear friend Hilda, who is now 90 years old.  She is a care home and becoming very forgetful.  She did know us, and we visited with her for about an hour.  Fortunately I had taken along scrapbooks that I made of two cruises that she and I went on in 2001 and 2003.  They were very useful in keeping some conversation going.

When we were about to leave I said, I'll just use the washroom before we go.  I left them and Hilda turned to Jim and said, "She's getting bigger, isn't she?" with a spreading motion of her hands, and that same sparkle in her eye.  It was the old Hilda back again for a few moments.  As soon as we got in the car to drive away, he told me, and we both had a hearty laugh over it.  (It's true!)

Personal Note: Linda S., I lost your email address when the computer went down.  If you send me an email, I'll have it back again!

1 comment:

  1. Well I can see that you will need to rest a bit in Nfld before you start out "touring". Don't we all work like crazy to get things done before our Holiday!! Wishing you a fantastic time in Newfoundland - that is the only province I haven't been to but hear it is a spectacular province !! Enjoy the sea breezes, the fine cuisine, but mostly enjoy the pace of the people - they are so calm and not in a hurry - so different from here where we all run - but what are we running for - to keep one step ahead when actually we should enjoy life more by adopting the Atlantic way - calm, slower pace and actually enjoy the fine gifts of time, family and friends.

    ReplyDelete