Monday, June 20, 2011

A Big Help

Since my "tumble" last week I've had some trouble falling back to sleep in the middle of the night.  My left arm, until today, pained quite a bit.  My right ribs objected being pressed against the mattress.  My right hand had a painfully sprained joint at the pinkie.  It all added up to staying awake for an hour or two in the middle of the night, or waking up very early, say 4 a.m., and not being able to sleep anymore.

A night or two of that and I'd be pretty flaked during the day.  So then I resorted to a half Lorazepam around 2 a.m.  That works!  I slept until 7:10 this morning!  And then I realized that there was no more Lorazepam.

So I phoned the clinic for an appointment to renew my prescription.  I was flabbergasted when the woman said the earliest appointment possible was three weeks from now!  I bleated, "But what can I do?"  The hardhearted reply was, "That's the earliest appointment I have."

I hung up, considerably upset.  Especially since both Dear Son #2 and family and Dear Daughter #2 and family will be visiting in that time frame.  I want to be alert enough to enjoy having them around.  What could I do?

Jim suggested phoning our pharmacist. I doubted she could issue any interim dose as they are a narcotic, but I thought at least I'd try.  And sure, enough, a pharmacist cannot dispense Lorazepam without a prescription.  I explained my situation to her and she went to bat for me.

She called the doctor's office and discussed the problem with them.  They tried to find an opening for me today or tomorrow, but just couldn't squeeze me in.  This is a new doctor who hasn't seen me yet, so, naturally, he was reluctant to prescribe without first knowing what sort of patient I am.

Cindy really helped me at this point by letting them know that I'm not a wimpy neurotic nor a wild-eyed drug addict.  She got them to let her issue 11 pills to tide me over the next three weeks.  WOW!  A great big thank you to our pharmacist, Cindy, who gave me exactly the help I needed today!

No comments:

Post a Comment