Wednesday, June 22, 2011

1st day of summer; 1st summery day

Yesterday was officially the first day of summer, and it was the first summery day we've enjoyed here.  It was beautiful!  Hot enough to wear shorts for the first time.  There was blue sky, there were puffy white clouds.  The wind was a very gentle breeze.  Just what we all were longing for.

It was also the longest day of the year.  Because we live quite far north our summer days are very long.  If I'm not mistaken the sun rose shortly after 5 a.m. and set just before 10 p.m.  Here's a view out our front windows a little before 10 p.m.  The camera doesn't do justice to the gorgeous colours in the landscape when the late sun bathes it in intense golden light.

Even after the sun is down the light lingers very long in the sky.  I love the term that describes this phenomenon: noctilucence.  As a lover of Latin I'll translate that loosely as "night shining" because "night light" seems so pedestrian a term for such loveliness.

It always seems kind of odd to me that the longest day comes at the beginning of the summer.  It would be more appropriate about the middle of July, don't you think?  And there's always just a smidge of sadness about passing the longest day, too.  It means that we're now on our way to the shortest day next December.

Did you know that the amounts of daylight different areas of the world receive all balance out so that every area, when you count the whole year, gets the same amount of daylight?  That's a nifty fact I learned from my Sis.

So this time of the year we have such long days with light so late in the evening and so early in the morning that it's just about impossible to stay awake for all of it. But then in December the day doesn't dawn until almost 9 a.m. and leaves before 4:30 p.m.  I understand that in the tropics night falls abruptly around 6 p.m.  I know it's just what I'm used to, having the length of day change throughout the year, but I think it would drive me bonkers to have it dark at 6 p.m. throughout the year.

1 comment:

  1. You might be surprised if you were to take your smart card and look at this photo when you have it printed! Sometimes you actually get more photo than you see when you download onto the computer - Beautiful sunset!!!
    Also, your friend loves her new scarf! If these words won't get me into trouble I would like to say "I am anticipating enjoying this scarf with my white jacket, black jacket and even red ones!! Thank You again,.

    ReplyDelete