Monday, November 29, 2010

Advent

Yesterday marked the first day of Advent, a very special season. Jan on organ and myself on violin played an arrangement of "O Come, O Come, Immanuel" for an offertory. It was somehow very special--quiet, contemplative and moving.

For me, Advent begins with the annual Christmas concert put on by the Arts Academy. It always has a nice variety, some choir, some instrumental, some literary. This year's concert, performed last Friday and Saturday evenings, was a huge success; people loved it and made many very appreciative comments. Our new mayor gave a hilarious account of his grandmother's "encounter" with their family's artificial Christmas tree. Stuart McLean, beware! I enjoyed playing violin in a quartet, leading a group of young violinists in three rounds, and playing in the group that accompanied some of the choir pieces, including the finale: The Hallelujah Chorus, from the Messiah by Handel.

Now I'm eager to get out the candles, lights, decorations. I missed my chance to put up the icicle lights on the eaves of the house, so we'll be a little less sparkly this year.

I wish you all a blessed Advent season, full of love of family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment