Saturday, April 27, 2019

PLAYING WITH FABRIC

It snowed all day from about 3 a.m. until around 6 p.m.  It was dark, windy and snowy.  Obviously not a day for planting potatoes or going for a walk!  So I gave myself permission to start a new quilt.  There were only 15 more Disappearing Four Patch blocks to finish for the quilt I'm working on, but I am bored of making D4P blocks.

I've been wanting to make a lap quilt in the same pattern as the quilt on our bed and that's what I decided to do today.  I took out my 2" square box and picked out many squares.  I need 224 dark 2" squares and 224 light 2" squares.  I had to cut some additional before there were enough.

The first step was to sew a dark and light together:
Next Step: arrange the pairs into four by four blocks.  There are six blocks here, just not sewed together yet.  I'll do them tomorrow.
Here are eight blocks already sewed together, eight out of 14.  The next fourteen have to start with a dark square in the upper left-hand corner.  

 I know I could turn these around a quarter turn and have what I need, but the pressing would be off.  So I'll go through this same process again, and then everything will nest nicely.

The first hour long instalment of "Les Miz" comes on PBS at 9 tonight and I want to watch that, so it's time to leave the sewing machine, get a snack ready and go turn on the t.v.  Actually, I do feel as if there's been plenty of sewing today!

No comments:

Post a Comment