Wednesday, April 17, 2019

AND ANOTHER

I'm living a very quilty life lately!  Mainly because of the quilt show coming up next Tuesday.  That's our year-end gala at the local quilt club, and I want to finish the quilts I've been working on in time to put them on display at the show.  So here's the large lap quilt I've just finished:
I've used this pattern several times and like it a lot.  Next time I should try it in a different colour-way.

I always spray-baste my quilts together with 505 and this time I did things a bit differently, for which I was sorry later.  My usual method is to spread the batting out on the floor in my sewing room, then smooth the backing over it, fold the backing back in half and spray the 505 on the wrong side of the backing.  Then I gradually unroll the folded backing over the batting, smoothing it carefully as I go.  When the backing is finished I turn the piece over and do the same with the quilt top.  

This time I sprayed the 505 on the batting and then smoothed the backing over it, and did the same with the quilt top.  I'm not happy with how that turned out: the layers did not stick together nearly as well as when the spray is applied to the backing and the top, not the batting.  I won't do it that way again.

The other thing I did differently was that when I did the machine quilting I did not outline the squares, but did a serpentine stitch diagonally through the blocks. 
Instead of complementing the quilt design it added a different dimension.  I don't care much for this.  That way of machine quilting, combined with the way I spray-basted resulted in a rather puffy quilt.  

It's still a very nice quilt and will be donated to a nearby old age home that has asked our club for a set of lap quilts for its residents.  I'm sure it will be welcome and hopefully, will provide some cheer to someone in his/her last years.

No comments:

Post a Comment