Friday, May 3, 2019

THREE NICE THINGS

Three nice things came together for me yesterday in a very pleasant way.  First, a friend had given me a set of 2 1/2" Batik strips some time ago.  Then another friend emailed me a picture of a bag she had made--so very attractive, and she shared the pattern with me.  Then I received an invitation to a birthday party for another friend for next week Wednesday.

The three events meld perfectly into a new project, begun after lunch today and brought to a pretty good state by tea time.  The first step was to cut the strips into 2 1/2" squares, four of each fabric, and 27 fabrics in all:
Next step was to sew the middle row to the bottom row, in four sets:
 Chain piecing is the way to go!  After there were four sets of those fabrics, I added the top row in the first picture to the sets.  These were all pressed in opposite directions, so when I sewed the sets together across the three fabrics, all the seams "nested."  Here are the four sets of squares.
The seams need to be pressed, but I wanted to see first which pressing direction will work, so I lined the sets up the way the way they will be sewed together.    
                        
Now this looks quite strange!  How will that configuration ever result in a bag?  That's the neat thing about this pattern.  You'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how this turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment