Monday, March 5, 2018

FIRST Q'NIQUE QUILT

On July 23 I blogged about my new Q'nique sewing machine.  This past weekend I machine quilted a quilt on it for the first time.  It's a really, really useful machine.  There was a bit of a learning curve: how fast to run the machine co-ordinated with how fast to move the material around under the needle.  That took a bit of practice, but this is not a really important quilt.  I doubt that anyone will inspect it carefully enough to detect the curve.

The view from the "driver's seat" is pretty wonderful:
I had been quilting on the front of the quilt on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  When I happened to turn it over, looking for where the bobbin thread ran out, it was apparent that the quilting was MUCH easier to see on the back.  So this morning, with just a little bit more to do, I turned it over and finished the quilting with the back facing up.  Much, Much easier to see what I was doing, where it was going, compared to looking at the front:



First thing up I needed to reload the bobbin.  There wasn't a lot of thread left on the spool, so I partially filled the bobbin, trying to strike a balance between how much thread was on the bobbin and how much thread was left on the spool.  There wasn't much left!  It would be a close call, trying to finish this.  I just didn't realize HOW close:
It seldom happens that way.  More usual is running out of thread about 5 inches from the end of the seam!  Here's where the quilting exited on the edge of the quilt.  The stitches right along the edge will be covered up with the binding.
I'm very pleased with this machine, happy that I made the investment.  The large throat is wonderful.  At one point the entire width of the quilt was to the right of the needle and it was still comfortable to stitch there.

No comments:

Post a Comment