Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Bye Bye Hide-a-bed

 Last Saturday was quite busy.  In the morning Marcy and I were sewing together.  Rather, we were trying to sew together.  We had just endless troubles with our machines.  One of the problems was the material, a fairly dense stretchy knit.  There were SO MANY skipped stitches.  We tried all sorts of fixes.  We also discovered that the tension on the bobbin was so tight that the thread could not be threaded through the proper slots.  We fixed that and we tried other needles.  Yesterday I bought some ball point needles.  I looked for stretch needles but didn't find any.

Then shortly after she left Dear Son #2 called and we had a nice phone visit.  He gave me some good news: dear granddaughter #2 had been the highest scoring grade 4 piano student in their area.  She was invited to play in a concert and receive a trophy, and she will do that.  We're so proud of her!  Then he mentioned that the four of them would like to come for a visit the week after Christmas.  WONDERFUL!

While I was still on the phone with him these fellows who work in the village showed up to pick up the old hide-a-bed.   When we bought the new one we moved the old one to the patio, but it isn't really patio furniture.  Goodwill won't pick up anything that involves beds or bedding, so what to do?  We were told that the workers here, pretty much all of whom are immigrants from Mexico or countries in South America are very willing to remove any furniture that we want to give away.
About five or six fellows from Guatemala showed up and loaded the hide-a-bed on their truck.  We were happy to give it away and they were happy to receive it.
I hope it stayed on the truck all the way home!

Last night I finished a pair of socks for the Dear One's birthday.  That's in December, but I didn't see a reason to wait until them to give them to him.  As he said, It's not a secret.  They are the beige pair.  

The blue ones are for my sister's husband.  They are flying in from Michigan today and will have dinner with us this evening and I'll put the socks beside his plate for a surprise.  He loves these hand-knit socks and uses them to keep his feet warm in bed.

So when the Dear One's socks were finished (before bedtime) I cast on another pair.  The blue and grey striped sock will be for a grandson's birthday in December.

I went to Michael's yesterday to buy some yarn for his socks and found that Patons Kroy Sock yarn is on sale this week.  Just $4.99 a ball--a pair of socks takes two of these 50g balls.  So I bought enough for three pairs of socks.  At the checkout another 10% was taken off.  WOW!  I should go back to load up on sock yarn.  Except that I now have 12 balls of sock yarn in the closet.  That's not counting the two for Zack's socks, the newest pair on the needles.  Maybe that's enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment