Sunday, December 28, 2014

FAST AND FUN(ny)

I posted about our sewing room here in the village on Wednesday. That morning I finished the quilt I had been working on and cut out 100 2 1/2" strips for this new quilt.  At least I thought it was 100.  This is a pattern from Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville's Quips and Snips.  You can find her at: http://quiltville.blogspot.ca

Bonnie is a prolific quilter, quilt designer, travelling teacher and blogger.  She has oodles of free patterns that you can access through her blog.  This pattern is called "Scrappy Bargello" and is designed to use up lots of odds 'n ends from your stash.

I don't have a stash here, but we have lots of donated materials in the sewing room for making quilts to donate to The Love House, a home for abused and abandoned children.  That's the favourite charity of our local quilting group.

This is supposed to be a completely random quilt, and I'm not unhappy with how it turned out, but if I make another one I think I'll "edit" the materials and placement a bit.  I think it would have looked better with some gradations of colour, especially in terms of gradually going from lights to darks, and possibly even leaving out some of the darks as being too dense.

The funny part: can you see on the very bottom that the two left strips are one square longer than the two right strips.  I had thought there were 25 strips in each pile, but apparently there were 26 strips in two of the piles.  I'll fix it by removing the bottom square from the two left hand strips.  It gave me a chuckle to see that.

This week I plan to find a good backing, make the sandwich and machine quilt it, probably with a meander stitch.  The last step: binding.  What about a nice bright red material for the binding?

No comments:

Post a Comment