Yesterday I baked a loaf of bread for the first time here. I used the new (second-hand from the swap meet) bread maker to make the dough. It seemed fine, had good "elasticity." I treated the dough as usual, rolling it out to a long narrow piece of dough, and then rolling that up into a loaf.
I oiled it a bit and put it in a parchment lined loaf pan. So far so good.
Then we decided to go out, Jim to the library, and myself to pay a bill and do a little shopping. If I left the loaf to rise, it would be too high by the time I got back, so I put it in the fridge to "stall" it.
Well, it stalled good and proper. I took it out when I got home at five and set it in a warm place to rise. It didn't cooperate. I turned on the oven and put it on top of the stove, a very warm place. Still no go.
I oiled it a bit, because the crust looked kind of dry. No rising resulted. Finally I oiled it again, and in response this time, the top sank in a little way.
Oh well, I might as well just bake it as it was 9 p.m. by this time. I took the picture when it came out of the oven--no higher than when it went in! We've had just a few slices from it, with a bit of cheese. It's extremely dense, but edible. Better luck next time!