Saturday, February 8, 2014

Update

Jim's been home a week and a half now, and I can see gradual improvement happening.  We went to the pacemaker clinic this past Wednesday, and were introduced to some of the wonders of modern technology.  The nurse technician, by placing a device about the size of a computer mouse over the implanted pacemaker can find out minute by minute, day by day what his heart has done since the implant.

There have been times when he felt very dizzy and nauseous, and the readout confirmed that they were times when his heart was in atrial fibrillation.  There were some lengthy episodes, one of 14 hours and one of 19.  He is taking a daily medication that is supposed to prevent that.  My hope is that this situation will improve as the medication takes hold.

He must wear buttoned shirts for the first six weeks, as he should not lift his left arm over his shoulder.  His favourite daily wear is a long sleeved turtle neck tee shirt, and he had only one buttoned flannel shirt.  All his other buttoned shirts are simple cotton dress shirts.  My solution: make him another flannel shirt.  He's wearing his new shirt in this picture.  I'm very happy with how it turned out, and also happy that all of the fabric even the dressy snaps came from my "stash"!

I'm contemplating making him a third shirt, to ease the laundry situation.  But I'm also anxious to get back to the quilt I was working on.  What shall I choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment