Thursday, May 27, 2010

New Term

Today I'm going to coin a new (I think) term. You've heard of chick lit? Well, today I am reading a book by Elizabeth Berg, The Last Time I Saw You, about a 40-year high school reunion. She shows you several characters in the now, with flash-backs to their high school years. What has happened in the interim? Why would they like to go to a reunion?

When one of the women checks into the hotel where the reunion is being held, she sees a couple who "had to get married" when they just eighteen. Look at that! They are still together, and seem happy! "They were the Cute Couple" she thinks....."They were just cute, like Karen and Cubby in the Mouseketeers." (p.110) It made me laugh out loud; I immediately knew just what she meant.

But you know, you'd have to be, what? in your fifties? in your sixties? to get that reference. I guess I was in Junior High when I watched the Mickey Mouse club (www.fiftiesweb.com/mouse-club.htm) Remember? "Come along and sing our song and join our jamboree! M-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E. Mickey Mouse! Mickey Mouse! Forever we will hold our banner high (high, high). M-I-C See you real soon! K-E-Y Why? Because we LIKE you! M-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E!"

So here's the new term: This is Biddy Lit! For Biddies like me, well over 50!

No comments:

Post a Comment