Saturday, August 25, 2018

QUILTY FUN

At our planning meeting last May the Pieceful Stitchers, the in-town quilt club, decided that we would all make a Jacob's Ladder quilt this year and submit them as a group to the Red Deer Quilt Show.  The idea is to demonstrate how one pattern can be interpreted in so many different ways.  I wanted to get started on that project so I looked in my stash and found two fabrics that looked good together, the batik print on the left and the purple print in the middle.  I took them to the Fabric Nook and found this gold that looked good with them.  I thought I was all set.

I looked up and printed a Jacob's Ladder quilt block from the internet.  Using that I calculated how much fabric I would need to make a 12 block quilt, 12" per block.  According to my figures I had just enough of the batik and plenty of the purple.  I bought .6 of a meter of the gold, figuring that was plenty.

I checked my calculations several times, and, to my dismay, ended up with different figures each time.  I'm not very perceptive about math, so I was a bit worried.  Finally I decided to take the fabrics to the Fabric Nook and find replacements for the batik and the purple.  You'll see them later.  But back home again and after another attempt to figure out how many inches of each fabric I needed, I thought my originals might possibly do.  So I simply started cutting and sewing, figuring, "I'll see how it turns out."

I made the squares for one block and put them up on the design wall.  This is the second try.  I discovered something funny: I had figured things out wrong and what was supposed to be the background became the ladder.  Oh well, if it looks different, maybe that's a good thing!


That was yesterday afternoon.  Today I made all the squares for all of the blocks.  THERE WAS PRECISELY JUST ENOUGH FABRIC!  If I had needed one more block it wouldn't have worked.  How many times does THAT happen?

The squares needed for each of the 12 blocks are in neat little stacks on the cutting board.  When I get the blocks made I'll play around a bit with the placement.  It's an ongoing adventure!  

No comments:

Post a Comment