Friday, August 31, 2018

PEAR JAM

One Wednesday while I was gone to pick up dear son #1 at the Calgary airport, S. picked a load of pears from the three pear trees at the back of the garden.  Thursday morning she came and helped me wash them and cut them up.  After she left I began the process of boiling them and putting them through the food mill in preparation for turning them into pear jam.

I found that they needed to be boiled quite a bit longer than the apples.  It took quite a bit to make them mushy enough for the food mill (a simple hand-turned French style food mill) to turn them into sauce.  I tried putting them through an Omega juicer but that didn't work well at all.  So I just kept on plugging away with boiling and using the food mill.

When there was 6 cups of pear "sauce" I made a batch of jam.  Then went back to making sauce.  I did this all day, with just two breaks, one for a cookie and glass of milk, and one for some late, late breakfast.  It was 5:38 by the time I finally finished "saucing" and making jam and got the kitchen cleaned up.  Fortunately DS#1 had gone for pizza, so that was a treat after a day "slaving away" in the kitchen!

PEAR JAM
Mix together:
6 cups of pear sauce
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp.  nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger.

Mix together:
1/4 cup sugar with
1 pkg No Sugar added Pectin.

Stir this mixture into the pear sauce mix.
Bring to a boil.
Add 4 1/4 cups sugar.
Return to a boil and boil hard for one minute.

Ladle into hot, sterile jars and seal with a
hot self-sealing lid  Screw the ring on tight and
place on a pad of towels to protect the counter.
Leave space between the jars so they cool and
snap shut.

The day's total: 19 jars and a little leftover in the fridge.
This is enough for a few years, I think!  There are lots more pears to come, but I will be giving them away and this is more than enough.  Especially since I had already made 17 quarts of raspberry freezer jam and 4 jars of cooked raspberry jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment