Friday, August 31, 2018

DUCAN DECKING, DUKE AND REFRESH

I just happened to come across a comment on a post from 2015 asking about the Ducan decking and the use of the cleaner Duke and the product Refresh to "spiff up" the Ducan decking.  Sorry I didn't see it when it was posted this past June, but I hope whoever asked the questions sees this belated answer.

We installed the Ducan decking probably around 2001.  So it was a good 14 years old when I first used the Duke and Refresh on it.  The decking itself was still in pretty good condition but had faded dramatically and needed some help.

I applied two coats that first summer and then either in '16 or '17 I did another coat.  When the snow is gone in the spring I do a good wash.  Because the surface is "dimpled" it needs a good scrubbing to get the dirt out of the dimples.  I cleaned it this spring, but because of all the soot from the wildfires this summer it needed another cleaning recently.

Two weeks ago tomorrow I got out there with a power washer, a push broom and some Duke cleaner.  After an hour and a half it looked great again.  But my right shoulder was painful for a week and a half.  So I won't do that again.  This week I ordered a Boss Mini Gloss Floor Machine from Home Hardware.  That will provide the "elbow grease" the next time I scrub the balcony or the tiles in the sun space, the glassed in windowed area below the balcony.

No comments:

Post a Comment