Wednesday, April 3, 2019

TWO FINISHES

I've been working on a few quilts simultaneously and this morning I managed to finish two of them.  One was just waiting for the purchase of a spool of thread in the right colour to sew down the binding on the right side.  This is a "Picket Fence" quilt.  The pattern was in a 1994 issue of "Quiltmaker" magazine.  This is the 3rd or 4th quilt I've made from the very easy pattern.
This quilt was begun by making blocks at a "Demonstration Day" last year.  It was nearly finished when I picked it up again this spring.

The second finish is one of the "3D Pinwheels" that I began this spring.  Pat had taken a quilt to our local club in this pattern, although the pinwheels were just prairie points.  Some time ago I had experimented with a 3D pinwheel and decided to use that for this quilt.
The background and border are fabrics that I bought this spring and the purples were all from my fabric stash.  I wanted the pinwheels to be really 3D, so I sprayed the folded edge with some "Best Press" and stuffed a bit of fabric into the fold:
When the folds dry, they stand up very nicely:
Of course, each time the quilt is washed this will have to be done again.

I really, really like both of these quilts.  I think the 3D Pinwheel baby quilt is one of the cutest I have ever made.  Lots and lots of fun!

I will write out the directions for how to make the 3D pinwheels and put them on the blog in the next few days, maybe next week.  Tomorrow I'm going to our other local quilting group and on Friday some of us are going together to the Red Deer Quilt Show.  That's always a winner--a full day of examining quilts, visiting merchants and attending demonstrations.  See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment