Wednesday, May 16, 2018

TWO FINISHES

I just finished Jim's sixth pair of socks.  These were made from odds and ends of yarn, three different yarns altogether.  The first sock went together easily, but for the second sock I used yarn from seven separate balls in order to make it match the first sock.  They turned out well.

And just a few days ago I finished a pair for our oldest grandson Tanner.  I mailed them yesterday, and the postage to send them to Ontario was about two dollars more than the cost of the yarn for the socks.  It's still worth it, though, as a "grandmotherly" expression of love.


That makes four pairs of socks finished since February 12.  Not bad!  I do feel almost addicted to making socks!  

Now I need to resurrect a project from several years ago--a lovely sweater for myself.  But my first impulse is to begin another pair of socks!  I have a few ideas: some thrummed socks for the Dear One and for my sister's husband.  Both those fellows love how warm and soft their hand knit socks are.  

The other idea is to try the method for the back of the heel, the slip one, knit one technique that makes the back of the heel thick and sturdy, and use that for the sole of the sock.  Would that work for the whole sole of the sock to make it thick and sturdy?  Would that make it last longer before holes are worn through?

1 comment: