In my last post I mentioned the fun of beginning a new quilting project. Today I want to look back at this last quilting season (October to April) and reflect on some of the projects that I finished.
At the start of our quilting group meetings I felt pushed to complete some unfinished projects, so I worked determinedly at them and managed to finish up several. The first one finished was a lounge or patio dress that I designed myself. I drew up a sketch of what I wanted to started working toward it. Along the way some things worked and were used
as I planned. Other parts looked awful when I sewed them as planned, so they were discarded and a new plan was substituted. When the dress was finished I was quite pleased with it.
I made a square table topper for our younger son and his family, but when it was put on their table, it became obvious that it should be oblong, not square. So I took it home again and made a new one in the oblong arrangement. That was sent off in time for Christmas, along with handknit leg warmers for the two granddaughters.
Last summer I had asked our older son if he would like another quilt, and he said Yes. So I started sewing madly, trying to finish a single bed-sized quilt in about 6 weeks. I chose to do an all scrap, controlled placement 6 x 6 block design. About half way into the project I had another talk with him, and found out that he didn't mean a bed-sized quilt, but another wall hanging. So I set aside the quilt I was working on and promised him I'd try to produce an original design wall hanging. After we returned from our holiday which included visits with both sons, I set to work to finish both of those projects. The wall hanging, which I had originally titled "Green Dreams" was sent to him in the mail.
The bed size quilt is still at home here, waiting to find a new owner. I have an idea it may go to son #2's nephew, who needs some encouragement just now. I'm thinking of calling it "Zig-Zag RazzMaTazz," just for something upbeat.
Then I actually finished up a chenille jacket I was making for myself. I had become discouraged about this project, because it was turning out way, way too big. But then I
figured out a way to take the sides in, and, though it will never be a favorite because it still feels too bulky, it is now wear
I just love the "buttons" I found for it. They
are actually pendants from Michaels. I love
the way they echo the stitching in the jacket.
My next project was a Country Creations kit that I started in a class in Edmonton that Lorraine Stangness taught. It's called "Log Cabin in the Round."
And last of all I finished the main part of a scrap quilt for our bed. Elaine Adair had posted pictures of the quilt twice on her blog "Elaine Adair Pieces." She wrote that it was just pinwheels and four x fours. I thought it was so attractive, so I charted it up and started working on it just before Christmas. I didn't finish it until the last day of quilting group. Now it needs a border, and then the sides and bottom that hang down. I do think it's really attractive, but found the pinwheels extremely hard to do well. I don't think I'll ever go back to that pattern.
All in all, it's been a good year of quilting, and I'm happy with what was accomplished.