Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Working on It

 I bought this pattern, Tradewinds, a few years ago.  Last summer I made a lap quilt from a Jelly Roll using this pattern.  It turned out well, and was one of the quilts I offered to the kids and grandkids for a keepsake from our 50th anniversary get together.  It wasn't chosen, and now it hangs up in the local quilt shop, as a sample of what you could make with a Jelly Roll.

The fabrics are an assortment of 1/2 meter cuts of various batiks, most of them bought when there was a fabric sale.

 This is an easy, quick pattern to make.  All prints are cut in 2 1/2" strips, which are sown together in groups of three or two strips.  The strip sets are then cut into triangles using a special ruler, a Strip Tube Ruler.


Here are the finished squares, composed of a triangle of three strips, a triangle of two strips, and a background triangle.  "Squaring up" is easy, also using that same ruler.

There are 32 squares in each pile.  A block uses 4 squares, so that gives me 16 blocks completed so far.  I'm making as large a quilt as I can with my fabrics.  I believe I'll end up with 36, 15" blocks.  Add a few borders and it will end up queen-sized, floor to floor, just the way I like it.  

This quilt will probably go to Arizona, as our bedroom here is painted green, not a good combination with these fabrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment