Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Roasted Veggies PLUS

About a year ago I became interested in new ways to cook and eat beets.  I guess we had lots in the garden.  First we tried a cold beet/orange salad.  Jim liked it.  I thought it was so/so.  Then I read about oven roasted beets and tried that.  They took forever to be cooked to an edible state.  Then I thought of combining them with a few other things.

Usually when I try a new recipe I do exactly what it says.  Second time around and after I alter the recipe until it turns out to be a "repeatable."  That's how this elaborate combination came about:

ROASTED VEGGIES PLUS
Preheat the oven to 350º.
Line a 9" x 9" square pan with foil.
Prepare and layer the following:
   beets, cut into strips
   parsnips, cut into strips
   carrots, cut into strips
   white or sweet potato, cut into strips
   sweet onion, cut in segments
   mild Italian sausage, cut into rounds.

Sprinkle herbs (oregano, basil, parsley, thyme--any combination) over all.

Top with fresh pineapple chunks.

Dribble extra virgin olive oil over all.

Cover with aluminum foil and roast for 45 minutes.
Add a layer of red pepper strips.
Sprinkle parmesan very liberally over top.
Return to oven covered for another 15 minutes, or as long as it takes for all the veggies to be fork tender.

This recipe makes a generous main meal for the two of us.  Of course, you could also fill a 13" x 9" pan if you are feeding more people. And you can alter the ingredients according to your preferences.

I do peel the beets, parsnips, carrots and potatoes before cutting them up.

We eat this meal as is, without any additions such as salad or dinner buns.  If you're feeding several people, you would want to make such additions.

Here's the finished dish, ready to eat.  We ate about 2/3 of this for our dinner today.  The rest went into the freezer, ready for Jim to heat up some day when I'm not at home to cook dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment