Monday, November 22, 2010

BOM

I had hoped to hike the hill today, but it was -23º with wind this morning, and the sun was hiding behind the overcast. It was a day to "hunker down" inside and do some sewing.

Our town quilting club is doing a "Block of the Month" (BOM) this year. I missed a few meetings because of our holiday, so on Thursday I got started on this project. Got the first block almost finished. Saturday we had a full day retreat for the town club, and Janis brought the other four patterns that had been handed out. By Saturday evening I had three blocks finished. It takes about 2
hours to cut and sew a block. Today I finished the other two patterns that I had. This project is turning out well.

For the background I chose a fairly busy print, and for the stars some quite dark, more subdued prints. I'm please with how it looks.

I think it should be sashed with the background fabric, in order for the stars to "float" on the background. So I'll ask Janice for the rest of the patterns at our regular meeting tomorrow. That way I can cut out all twelve blocks and find out what I need to buy to finish the quilt.

My sister took those two "chilly" pictures from the last post and put them on her screen, just to remind her to be thankful for the warm Arizona weather she enjoys each winter.

Thanksgiving is coming up this week for the American half of our family. So here's a recipe that goes well with a turkey dinner. It's called "Side Dish."

Peel and slice 2 large Sweet Spanish Onions to measure 6 cups.
Sauté in 1/4 cup butter until tender.
Spoon into a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
Combine 1 can cream of mushroom or chicken soup
with 3/4 cup milk and 1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce.
Pour over onions.
Top with 1 1/2 cups croutons.
Sprinkle with 3/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese.
Bake at 350ºF for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

I made this for dinner today, as we were having leftover Thanksgiving turkey (shoved into the freezer after our Canadian Thanksgiving dinner in October.) Since it was just the two of us, I used only the following: just one onion cut up, 1/2 can of creme of mushroom soup (a left-over from the fridge), no milk, and a little Worcestershire sauce. I sprinkled the top with crumbs mixed with 2 tbs grated parmesan and about 1/4 cup grated cheddar. Tasted real good!

No comments:

Post a Comment